“You Can” Drums
“There is, deep down within all of us, an instinct — A Drum Major instinct, a desire to be out front, a desire to lead the parade.”
Martin Luther King
“You Can” Drum Fun
- Make your drum with: Cans, cups, shoe boxes, milk cartons, or any item you can find.
- Then use a rubber band, staples, tape, anything you can think of to seal it.
FILL YOUR DRUM WITH:
- Your dreams! Ideas on how you can make your dreams come true! Heroes to inspire you! Quotes to encourage you!
- You can write it on the “You Can Can” download.
SEAL YOUR DRUM, PLAY AWAY & STAY ENCOURAGED AS YOU GO AFTER YOUR DREAM!
You can also make “A DRUM CIRCLE” with friends, family, your school or four-legged friends, & have fun imagining your dreams as you pound your drum & dance to each other’s Boom Shake Songs.
“A drum circle offers equality because there is no head or tail. It includes people of all ages. The main objective is to share rhythm and get in tune with each other and themselves. To form a group consciousness. To entrain and resonate. By entrainment, I mean that a new voice, emerges from the group as they drum together.”
Mickey Hart of The Grateful Dead
“Whenever people gather together to play their drums, the world is a better place.”
“When you are grateful, fear disappears and abundance appears.”
After building her You Can Drum, Baby Baboon created The A-BUN-DANCE GAME so that she could continually overcome fear, naysayers, hardships, any – “OH NO” – “SO” – or Bad “BUTS”:
- Put on a cape, a hat, a headband, anything grand, even a “tutu” like Baby Baboon so you know you can “too-too”
- With AN ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE Like Honey Bee in Think Big: Dance, shake your bum, drum, sing A Boom Shake Song, alone or with two-legged, four-legged, or hand-standing friends! Use a good “but”! Like the line from Dream Big, “BUT I can! I believe!” The Termite Trick from Love Big, “E S B-U-T – We is beauty!” Then break into Bee’s BIG BUN DANCE! The dance can help us know where to go while remembering “No bad BUTs for me!”
- Play solo or organize a surprise flash mob performance, but whatever you do, end with the shout out, “MY LIFE IS FULL OF ‘ABUNDANCE’!”
While we play Baby Baboon’s A-BUN-DANCE GAME, also think about The Live Big Animals & consider the different ways you react to fear, naysayers, hardship, any “oh no” – “sos” – or “buts”:
- LIKE CATERPILLAR: Do I cocoon, armor up so nothing can touch me or make me feel to vulnerable?
- LIKE TADPOLE: Do I dive down deep into a pool of negative, despairing thoughts?
- LIKE FLAMINGO: Do I physically take on my pain, get sick, hurt, look aged or grey?
- LIKE BABOON: Do I get moody and blue filled with so much shame I can hardly relate?
- LIKE TERMITE: Do I dig a hole & isolate hiding away from my fears, tears, hardship, vulnerabilities or even possible success?
- LIKE RHINO: Do I stick out my top-lip power-pout & act out by being mean to others or whining?
- LIKE HARE: Do I walk around with my ears down, feeling sorry for myself, while considering no one else?
- LIKE LION: Do I use the talents I am born with to seek out only my own interests, even lie, cheat, or steal to get what I think I need?
- LIKE DUNG BEETLE: Do I judge or label my life as bad, poopy, stinky, or lonely?
When you answer “YES” to any of these, that’s when you pull out your pompoms, play your YOU CAN DRUMS & A-BUN-DANCE GAME to overcome, smile big in who you are, & fight for your dreams together!
To give you some ideas, the Jenning kids are showing off the start of my drum collection. Some drums are home-made and some are bought.
For more ideas on how to make your own You Can Drum:
PLEASE SHARE PHOTOS OR VIDEOS OF YOUR “YOU CAN” DRUMS!
We’d love to see, build community, and celebrate the quest for our dreams together.
Share them on social media with a #GOBIG #LIVEBIG #CATCHM
or send them to us directly. Tell us your name, where your from, and if it is okay for us to share them with our community.