“You Can” Drums
“There is, deep down within all of us, an instinct — A Drum Major instinct, a desire to be out front, a desire to lead the parade.”
Martin Luther King
FIRST, take time to understand your moods with Big Baboon’s Download or name your moods with Baby Baboon’s Rainbow Moods!
SECOND, learn to keep your moods in check by making a “You Can” Drum:
- Make your drum with: Cans, cups, shoe boxes, milk cartons, or any item you can find.
- Then use a rubber band, staples, tape, anything you can think of to seal it.
FILL YOUR DRUM WITH:
- Your dreams! Ideas on how you can make your dreams come true! Heroes to inspire you! Quotes to encourage you!
- You can write it on the “You Can Can” download.
NOW SEAL YOUR DRUM. PLAY AWAY! WHEN YOU GET MOODY, STAY ENCOURAGED, CELEBRATE WHO YOU ARE, & GO FOR YOUR DREAMS WITH A ROCKING BEAT!
THIRD, play your drums together!
Work through your moods together. Have some fun. Share your dreams, Make “DRUM CIRCLES” with friends, family, your school or four-legged friends, & imagine your dreams together as you pound your drum! Go around the circle. Share your success, your gratitude, your favorite animal, & even dance to each other’s Boom Shake Songs.
“A drum circle offers equality because there is no head or tail. It includes people of all ages. The main objective is to share rhythm and get in tune with each other and themselves. To form a group consciousness. To entrain and resonate. By entrainment, I mean that a new voice, emerges from the group as they drum together.”
Mickey Hart of The Grateful Dead
“Whenever people gather together to play their drums, the world is a better place.”
“When you are grateful, fear disappears and abundance appears.”
Finally, play The A-BUN-DANCE GAME!” Baby Baboon learned after watching her friends that she needed a fun way to overcome fear, naysayers, or moments when she wants to say, “OH NO” – “SO” – or “BUT.” So she created The Abundance Game to stay encouraged & connected to her community:
- Put on a cape, a hat, a headband, or anything grand, even a “tutu” like Baby Baboon who wants to remind us we can “too-too”! Decorate your cape, socks, or fun with the Termite Tricks, “‘B A E” , that says, “Be a We!” Or “E S B-U-T” says “We is beauty!”
- With AN ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE like Bee in Think Big: Sing A Boom Shake Song, dance, shake your bum, pound your drum, believe it to be true, & celebrate the great ideas that come up for you.
- Remember, as you play to never say an oxymoron, “Yeah, but I can’t!” See how great life can be with no bad BUTs in your life!
- Play alone, with four-legged or hand-standing friends, your classroom, family, or organize a surprise flash mob performance, but whatever you do, end with a shout out, “OUR LIVES ARE FULL OF ‘ABUNDANCE’!”
- ABUNDANCE is defined as a state of prosperity! There is plenty for all!
While we play Baby Baboon’s A-BUN-DANCE GAME, think about The Live Big Animals & the different ways they react to fear, naysayers, hardship, moments where they say “oh no” – “so” – or “but”. Then consider how you react:
- LIKE CATERPILLAR: Do I cocoon, armor up so nothing can touch me or make me feel to vulnerable?
- LIKE TADPOLE: Do I dive down deep into a pool of negative, despairing thoughts?
- LIKE FLAMINGO: Do I physically take on my pain, get sick, hurt, look aged or grey?
- LIKE BABOON: Do I get moody and blue filled with so much shame I can hardly relate?
- LIKE TERMITE: Do I dig a hole & isolate hiding away from my fears, tears, hardship, vulnerabilities or even possible success?
- LIKE RHINO: Do I stick out my top-lip power-pout & act out by being mean or whiny?
- LIKE HARE: Do I walk around with my ears down, feeling sorry for myself, while considering no one else?
- LIKE LION: Do I use the talents I am born with to seek out only my own interests, even lie, cheat, or steal to get what I think I need?
- LIKE DUNG BEETLE: Do I judge or label my life as bad, poopy, stinky, or lonely?
- LIKE GIRAFFE: Do I try so hard with the wrong motivation that I do not achieve much of anything?
- LIKE HONEY BEE: Do I live an isolated life in a hive, buzzing around, worried that everything around me is dangerous, ready to sting, to lash out, unable to consider how my actions may effect another?
- LIKE BAOBAB TREE: Do I live a stoic life, keeping only to myself?
- LIKE KUDU: Do I stand frozen in fear, fight, or run away as fast as I can when faced with hard, unexpected twists in fate?
When you answer “YES” to any of these, that’s when you pull out your Pompoms, You Can Drums, & play the A-BUN-DANCE GAME to smile big in who you are, celebrate great ideas, do good, & fight for your dreams together!
To give you some ideas, the Jenning kids are showing off the start of my drum collection. Some drums are home-made and some are bought.
For more ideas on how to make your own You Can Drum:
PLEASE SHARE PHOTOS OR VIDEOS OF YOUR “YOU CAN” DRUMS!
We’d love to see, build community, and celebrate the quest for our dreams together.
Share them on social media with a #GOBIG #LIVEBIG #CATCHM
or send them to us directly. Tell us your name, where your from, and if it is okay for us to share them with our community.